Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

What's In A Name?

In a comment to "Homeward Bound," David E. Francis describes five monsters he loves - Sheba, Eeyore, Tigger, Pooh_B and Morkie. Amy includes Bat and Bandit in her signature line on that same post. And recently, George and Stanley spent time with me.

These are all such good names. It got me thinking about what I might name a potential future little monster in my life. There are so many good names. For instance, just to name a few, there's Kukka-Maria, Fergus, WMD, Sanjee, Derby, Pandora, Susan, Sharyn, David and even Eponine and Cowboy. All very awesome names.

A few weeks ago I was at a baby shower for a co-worker. The future parents said Aidan is likely the name they've selected. Being knowledge-savvy, I hopped to the computer and within minutes printed a list of popular baby names, according to babycenter.com. The girl name in 2004 was Emma, while Emily was second. The two names switched places in 2003. Most popular boy names for both those years were Jacob and Aidan, respectively.

Interestingly, Aidan's future parents are Chinese. They both were born in China. However, he lived north of the border for many years and says he's Canadian and is working toward naturalization. His name is Wei-Wu. Her name is Wei-Wei. They did not know each other until they met here. My suggestion was that they name their soon-to-arrive son Wei Two or Wei Tu. They laughed. It was more at me than with me.

Just the other day I heard the Click and Clack brothers of Car Talk say something about popular baby names that also are car names. I thought for sure the list would include Edsel. No go, though! The top car/baby names were Lincoln (boy) and Mercedes (girl). Can you believe that Ford was No. 3 and that there are boys out there named "Beemer"? I wonder if Beemer will be an elected official some day.

Politics aside, Tyler's folks played what sounds like a fun game while watching the "State of the Union" speech the other night. Crazy, fun times, I'm sure!

12 Comments:

At February 08, 2006 7:26 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Our mommy and daddy pick theme names. Trixie, Norton and then Ralph. (mom's note: I wanted Betty and Barney, but I lost whatever contest we had at the time to see who's names would stick. Ralph would have been Ralph no matter what - his name given by his original family was Jackie Gleason - which I did not know until after I named him Ralph Kramden). We are named after characters in the movie The Maltese Falcon.

 
At February 08, 2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

About that game--my mom says she would have had to drink a shot every time she said a swear. And actually an intravenous on a fast drip would be more appropriate. She may have been kidding, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Besides, who wants to watch a show about the state of the onion, anyway? I don't like onions.

P.S. We all told Mom our names. She says you just have to be patient and listen.

 
At February 08, 2006 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

William's Mom is so smart. The kitty will definitely tell you his or her name. I struggled with Turtle, because I kept thinking I was hearing it wrong. "Turtle? Are you sure that's it?" I would say.

"Mrrroow," she would say, from under the bed (which meant, "Yes"). So Turtle it was. Moose told me his name right away. Nala said to please pick something pretty and feminine - she is an easygoing sort of girl.

I also had a name picked out for my second child that didn't stick. I called her Corinna the entire pregnancy, until, I guess, she finally understood that I was talking to her in there. She sent out bad vibes immediately. Last minute change to "Hannah"... who will be 15 on Saturday :-).

 
At February 08, 2006 9:49 AM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

Thanks for the compliment about my unique name. My mom tells me that her friend, when first pregnant, asked Mom to help her find a Finnish name that began with a "K." Mom, as a joke, suggested Kukka-Maria, which her friend politely refused. A month or so later, I came to live with Mom and she thought such a unique name suited me and my unique personality.

I think I was born to be a Kukka-Maria!

 
At February 08, 2006 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to wait and see your monster... then a name will magically click! I think it's wonderful that all animals are given names at shelters however I do not think they have to be kept. While looking for a movie to rent one time I did see the word "Tucker" and it stayed in my head. Later when I went to look at kittens I immediately was drawn to the orange tabby who quickly became my beloved Tucker. More importantly how is the process going? Any one new catching your eye?

 
At February 08, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

Our gramma (Mama's mama) always calls her poodin's names beginning wiff P.

She's had Penny, Peter, Peta, Pippa, Penny, Prince, Persis, Pushkin, Pinkle-Purr, and now she has Pericles and Purslane (Perry and Purrsy!)

Mama has had Polly and Pandy, then she says she broke the mould with Ambrose, then Echo, then me! (wonder if she ever fixeded that mould?)

My name begins wiff a ch-ch-ch.....

charlie

 
At February 08, 2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Cowboy, I am very glad you like my name, me too! Mum picked it out and I think it is much better than my original name...(whispers, Benny). I remember coming home with mum that firsted day and all she kept saying was "Derby, I love you" all the way to my furever home. Sigh.

 
At February 08, 2006 8:30 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 08, 2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

i don't think any beans would name their kids after a failed car. only my Mom would do that. sigh. but, i guess i like my name, it's kinda different. i think when you get a new monster you should name him or her Indian!

 
At February 09, 2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Ayla said...

It took the Mom two weeks before she came up with an appropriate name for me. I'm glad she did or else my name would be Fuzzy, and that's...well...not dignified. However, the Mom still slips and calls me Ayla-fuzzy sometimes, which is only barely tolerable.

Then again, the Mom has always come up with weird names for the Brats. Heck, we've got a Brat named Monkee. Like that is a normal name for a cat?

 
At February 10, 2006 7:32 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Mom knew a torty named Spider-Monkey for her climbing. You should see some of the kid names around here - the worst was Taquila (what Mom was drinking that night?). The cat who came before me was "used" - 10 years old and named Scruffy when she found my people. Well, 10 years before, in an alleyway behind a bar, she was... scruffy. But she should have picked people that time that would give her a better name and a REALLY forever home (she lost her home for dee-vorse). The cat before Scruffy was a tux with an obvious Groucho Marx mustache. Mom's mom taught Spanish then, so she named him Bigotes, Spanish for mustache. It's big-oh-tess. Poor guy.

 
At February 10, 2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Victor Tabbycat said...

Bonnie, you forgots about our names! Bonnie was supposed to mean "pretty", like bonny. But she's more like Bonnie from Bonnie and Clyde. So they joked about getting a sweet little boy kitty named Clyde. When I dopted Mom, I was already Victor and they said it fits me better than Clyde. One of my favorite cat names was Sushi!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home