Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Little Man's Celebration

Little Man at an OSU v. Texas Tech, February 2005VMc and Ronda celebrated Little Man's birthday on April 4. He's like in the tenth percentile on growth charts and has been walking since about month seven. He looks like a little man taking on all the world has to offer.

Cowboys were celebrating much just before he was born. Our team had just beat the No. 3 and No. 1 seeds in the East Regional and was headed to San Antonio for the Final Four.

Although OSU has had its share of success, we still sometimes feel like "George Mason" at the party. Welcomed, but not really supposed to be there. But with only three losses, we were kind of favored. The semi-final loss in the last second to Georgia Tech left us shocked.

It was a fun ride! And two days later, Little Man arrived. Being born on 04-04-04 when the Cowboys went to the Final Four is a story we will tell for a long time. This picture is at 10 months, February 2005, at one of his first OSU basketball games in Stillwater.

It was about 3:30 a.m. on April 4, 2005 when the step monster called to say my father passed away. It wasn't a shock. He had been ill and in the hospital. Still, I ended up spending the next few hours lying there, staring at the ceiling, thinking, pondering, getting older. By 8 a.m. I was on the road to Tulsa to go to the funeral home. That night, I was in Norman celebrating Little Man's first birthday. Experiencing death and celebrating life all in one day.

Dad had long told me and clearly instructed us that his wishes were to have no visitation, no funeral, no flowers, no attention, no obit, no memorials, no expenses. It almost made sense. When the time came, it was awkward, a little selfish on his part, but still his wishes. It also made it so that there wasn't much to do.

Can't go wrong with orange flowers!I thought it would be simple going back to work and "moving on." But getting back to the day-to-day routine so quickly actually made things tougher. The hug and comfort I needed came in an arrangement of orange flowers from MegMacB delivered to work and a security guard asking if I was going to be OK. If you look closely in the pic, in the bottom right corner is the reflection of Eponine's white water bowl.

Dad and I weren't necessarily "close," but we got along and admired each other. I still miss him. Nothing at all like I miss my Eppy, strangely enough, but I miss him nonetheless.

Life goes on and now the Little Man is two!

5 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 8:12 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Isn't it life's irony that we usually celebrate a birth and a death in such close proximity. Your dad and my dad sound like almost the same person! Same converstaions with my dad about his arrangements.
The little man is certainly a cutie!
Meezer's Mom

 
At April 05, 2006 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been in my thoughts Cowboy. I know this will be a tough week for you. Take a moment to ponder a few more memories of your Dad and hold them close to your heart. I did not know your Dad but have to consider him special since he helped make someone as wonderful & considerate as you. You're the best!

 
At April 05, 2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

He is a cutie, M's M. Although I hope it is a long time before you ever lose your father, but take time now to explain to him that there may be some things you and others might have to do for yourselves. You want to be true to his wishes, but somehow we also have to say good bye.

Thanks so much SL. You give my dad (and me!) way too much credit. You are so very kind. Thank you!

 
At April 06, 2006 12:30 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I will always be there for you, no matter what, with orange flowers in hand and even a chili cheese dog when needed.

Thinking of you!

 
At April 06, 2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Or even a DQ burger, Meg?
Thank you for everything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home