Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Mickey's Mouse

In his May 7, 2006 Sunday column in "The Kansas City Star," C.W. Gusewelle tells the story of Mickey's first catch of a mouse. (Note: Poi Rats, you may not want to read on.) This nearly toothless, orange cat is more than eight years old.

Mr. Gusewelle says Mickey "didn’t make a fuss about his success. He just placed the corpse in plain view at the foot of the basement steps ... " He writes the mouse was a small one, that Mickey is athletic, but is "somewhat ill-equipped as a predator." Because the mouse was not chewed or mutilated, Mr. Gusewelle suspects Mickey likely played with the mouse until it died. He also writes that he learned that male house mice sing courtship songs to mates. Sounds just like cowboys!

It's a great story. I hope you take a moment to read it. Mr. Gusewelle is a weekly regular and all of his stories are fantastic. My theory is that columnists are the grandparents of bloggers.

Mr. Gusewelle was not the only one musing on a Sunday. I see the little immigrant in my home recently posted some random thoughts and observations. Daphne likely ran her mouth and told more than she should have. I still love her, though.

I am close. Tammy? Toby? Bronson? Now that I posted their names, someone likely will get them before me. That will be OK, but I really think it's different this time. One of them will be there. Don't comment "take all three," because that's just not something I can do. Anyway, Wayside is closed Wednesday. I promise to go by on Thursday.

9 Comments:

At May 09, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

good luck, cowboy. i went to the website and looked at all three, and they're all darling, although i was partial to bronson, probably because he looks so much like my bat and scruffy. if all three are still there when you go back, maybe you could sing to them and see which one responds best. heh heh. if you sing anything like i do (which i'm hoping you don't), none of them will want to pick you!

 
At May 09, 2006 11:11 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

oh, and that column is absolutely precious!

 
At May 10, 2006 8:03 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

What a great story! I think my cats would fanit if they found a mouse.
Speaking as the mom of 3 cats, I know that it would be very difficult for you to have that many cats with all of your travel. Someone will be there Thursday - Tammy is beautiful, Bronson is handsome, but that Toby, oh my, what a picture. He looks like a little love bug.
Meezers Mom

 
At May 10, 2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Myst and Blackie said...

Good luck Cowboy... we hope everything works out well for you

 
At May 10, 2006 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Mia and Ghost's comment: Good Luck, Cowboy; and I hope it goes well for you.

Dee

 
At May 10, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

whoops! got toby & bronson mixed up. it's toby that i liked the best, cuz it looks like he's got catitude!

 
At May 10, 2006 8:03 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

Toby and Tammy. yup.

 
At May 10, 2006 10:05 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Any update? Tammy tell me true? Did you get picked yet? The waiting to know is the hardest part for us!

 
At May 11, 2006 8:12 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Hey Cowboy, if you are going today to see about getting picked, good luck! We will cross our paws for you!
*purrs and furry headbutts*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home