Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Ernesto Miranda

To celebrate the anniversary of our Miranda Rights, I am going to make every attempt to stay silent today.

The matter started on March 13, 1963 when Mr. Miranda stole $8 in Phoenix, Arizona (a place I have visited). June 13, 1966 is when the U.S. Supreme Court handed down its decision.

Although not being much of a legal expert, my little monster certainly seemed to fully understand Miranda Rights. I'd come home and find cat hair in places it shouldn't be, dirt from plants somehow on the floor, or maybe a cat toy stuck under the sofa. "How did that get there?" her expression would say. Or if I walked away from a bowl of ice cream and returned to find what appeared to be a tongue mark. "Why are you looking at me?" I'm sure she was thinking as she sat there looking all innocent.

She never once incriminated herself. The only time she ever obviously provided evidence of guilt was in expressing how excited she was when I would arrive home. Was I glad she "incriminated" herself in this way? Guilty as charged.
--------------------------------------
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense."

5 Comments:

At June 13, 2006 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We invoke our Miranda rights ALL the TIME. Thanks for letting us know this info!
turtle, moose and nala

 
At June 13, 2006 12:06 PM, Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

We've never been to Phoenix, AZ ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko Ko and Poiland Tribe and Rabbie Burns

 
At June 13, 2006 6:34 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

we hopes our mommy nefurr gets arrested - she CANNOT keep silent. She may have the right to remain silent, but she shur does not have the a-bill-i-ty (we been watching too much Blue Collar Comedy).

 
At June 15, 2006 12:10 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

mom thinks you must be a lwyer, too, cowboy, cuz you always write stuff like this.

we don't care too much 'bout this miranda, but we likes carmen miranda cuz she wears food on her head!

b&b

 
At June 17, 2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

You're welcome Turtle, Moose and Nala. Glad I can help you all "defend" yourselves. I bet you never do anything wrong, though.

OOU-You should go to Phoenix for a visit. Take some of the rats. It's a nice place to visit.

Meezers-Sounds like your mom would for sure incriminate herself. I hope she stays on the up and up and never has to try to stay silent. What I hate is how something so innocent can actually incriminate.

No, not a lawyer, B&B. Sad to say. I did take the LSAT back in the day and did well. But couldn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up. I am surrounded by lawyers and regulators, though. And choose to surround myself with some wonderful friends that also happen to be lawyers.

Oh, and one friend, BET, that is an artist/educator/gallery director. She once was Carmen Miranda for Halloween. She made the costume. It was unbelievable!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home