Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Failure To Launch

Watched "Failure to Launch" recently while sitting on the runway in Richmond, Virginia. The plane was diverted to Richmond (after more than an hour in a holding pattern outside our destination) in order to refuel and wait out a storm that was bombarding Washington, D.C. It was a silly movie, but it did make me laugh out loud several times.

Sat there for over three hours. It rained the whole time we were in Richmond. Thank goodness I had been bumped to first class. My ever-increasing bottom was very comfortable in the extra-wide seat 4E. And the flight attended provided us warm nuts. Cashews, walnuts and others that had been warmed in a a little dish. I stayed away from the invitation for booze lest I get agitated on the ultra-delayed flight, but also wondered how anyone could get upset when they have warm nuts. (Get your mind out of the gutter. Yes, you.)

Not liking the idea of North Korea test-firing missiles. A little unsettling. My hope is that they continue to unsuccessfully launch. My thought is to pray.

On the first leg of the recent flight to D.C. I accidentally sat next to a 20-year-old guy from Sedalia, Missouri. Trevor. See, I misread my boarding pass and thought it said 23E instead of 25E. It did say Group 3. I think my eyes saw that three. In any case, the dude whose seat I took was cool and opted just to take my assigned seat instead of making me move.

A mechanical problem delayed the flight leaving Kansas City by about 90 minutes. (Thus missing the connecting flight and being bumped to first class for the second leg.) Trevor and I talked the entire time. Continued to visit quite a bit while in the air. After a two-week visit home, he was rejoining his unit in Baghdad, via Kuwait. He is artillery. Performs patrol in Baghdad. He was wearing his full army gear, with the velcro on the shoulder often sticking to my washable silk shirt.

On July 5th an e-mail arrived from Trevor. He reports that it took four days to get back to his unit, it is excrutiatingly hot, things are not as bad as the press lets on, and that he received word he may be coming home in November.

My thought is to pray.

9 Comments:

At July 07, 2006 11:08 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Hey, Cowboy, what a nice flight after all. I bet your company made all the difference in the world to that young man. Let's hope he makes it back home safely, whenever that might be.
~William's mom

Almost makes up for your lack of cat.
~William

Aw, I'm only kidding.
~William again

 
At July 08, 2006 3:27 AM, Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

Think how we felt when we heard that stupid missle was aimed for around Poiland. Even the vermin weren't happy about it ~Merlin, Shadow, Ko Ko

 
At July 08, 2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

I thought about you all too! And talked about Hawaii and this situation while sharing dinner with friends last night.

 
At July 09, 2006 9:57 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

I am sure that you made the long flight back to war bearable for young Trevor. God Bless him and we will all pray for his safety. - Meezer Mom

 
At July 09, 2006 2:02 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

glad you made a new friend on your flight, cowboy!

 
At July 11, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Hot(M)BC said...

Dang, we'd have sent Mom to keep you company if we'd known you were stuck here, Cowboy. I hope your friend stays safe. We'll keep him in our purrayers.
Purrrrrrrrs!
Boni

 
At July 11, 2006 10:14 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Had forgotten you all are in Richmond, Mostly Black Cats and Mom. But they never even let us all off the plane. We didn't even leave the runway. I could see the terminals and jetways from the windows. That's my entire Richmond experience! :(

Thanks, Amy. And Meezer Mom and Williams Mom, thank you for your prayers and kind words.

By the way, William, you sure know how to make a guy feel better about himself. :)

 
At July 16, 2006 9:19 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

Hey Cowboy, how are you doin?

 
At July 17, 2006 7:21 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

I'm doing OK. Super busy, it seems.

How you poodins doing? Hope it's not too hot in your neck of the woods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home