Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Financial Planning

Seems that many folks have traditions for the Fourth of July. I don't. I like going to a movie on the Fourth. Maybe that counts.

Over the years, I have had some wonderful celebrations. I have seen fireworks displays from D.C. (saw the Beach Boys in 1985) to San Jose, Santa Fe to St. Louis (some of the best fireworks and celebrations, including seeing Dolly Parton once at the VP Fair, now known as Fair St. Louis), and from Kansas City and Overland Park, Kansas to Tulsa and Collinsville, Oklahoma and Odessa, Texas. Each time was shared with special folks, family or friends.

There is one tradition I started a few years back. Each year on July 4th, I dump all the coins in the pocket change jar and count my booty. I have a system to my madness for the change that lands in there. See, I don't spend dimes. I save every single last one of them. However, I spend pennies. Carry around pennies just so I can boast "having cents" and then proceed to count out as many as I can. The result usually is getting a dime or two in return.

Over the last year, I also started saving state quarters from certain states. At first it mostly was states with which I had direct connections. But about January I started saving quarters from states that are the homes of some of my favorite cat bloggers.

Counted today and the pot is up 42 percent from last year! I don't know about your investments, but this is a fairly awesome return. Out performing any other investment I currently have. I know I won't get rich following this plan, but it is kind of fun. And at least I am not penniless.

And for all Americans, hope your Fourth of July celebration was fantastic. I proudly donned out on my front porch my favorite Uncle Sam windsock. It's the one that has a tag that says, "Made in China."

2 Comments:

At July 06, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

way better return than my sep ira, cowboy! hope you saw a good movie. it rained here, but there was a fireworks display nearby nonetheless. the loud sounds seemed to freak out bat, although bandit appeared hardly to notice them.

 
At July 07, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

I can tell I'm getting old -- older? -- because the neighborhood booms and pops until 1 a.m. very much irritated me. I wanted holler out the window, "Enough already!" I love fireworks displays, though. KC actually had a huge spectacular along the riverfront Saturday night which I enjoyed.

Karen C.-I actually have a huge Pistol Pete/Oklahoma State container full of just dimes. The container was a birthday gift a few years back full of popcorn. It looks like a gigantic soda bottle. But I sure like your wine bottle idea! I'm going to take it on a challenge. With increasing debit-card use, using cash and getting any kind of change is becoming harder to accomplish. Hey, thanks for commenting too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home