Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

The Long Haul

With Hurricane Katrina not having made landfall yet but expected within hours, I recall a year ago driving home late that night and seeing gas prices at $2.05 a gallon. I couldn't believe the jump! It literally gave me an anxiety attack. I wondered how we would be able to handle gas prices being so expensive.

A little more than a year ago, a change at work led to a longer commute to the office. It was less than six miles before, one way, while now it is right at 26 miles. Not a too horrible drive. Mostly against the flow of traffic in that it's away from downtown. Also almost all interstate or state highway. But, it is almost 26 miles.

Today, most gasoline stations passed on the voyage had gas at $2.72! It's so exciting. I'm giddy over two-dollar and seventy-two-cents a gallon gas prices. A gallon is cheaper than the No. 4 at Burger King. How cool is that?

According to the spreadsheet I keep, my average is 54.67659 miles driven each day. Those miles divided by the average mpg come to about 2.6 gallons consumed each day by the PT. At an average of $2.85 a gallon that equates to $7.41 a day. Annualized, it will be $2,704.65. Not to mention the new tires, oil changes and other wear and tear. Nice, huh?

Be sure to honk and wave if you see the PT zooming by next time you're in KC.

9 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'm moving to KC!!! Up here it's rare to see anything lower than $2.90. My eyes popped out when it hit an all time high of $3.18 or something like that. I decided that week, I didn't need to go anywhere in my car LOL!

Seriously, your a math wiz. This is why I'm a musician...all you need to do is count to 4 and start over.

 
At August 25, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

You made me laugh, Jenn.

 
At August 25, 2006 5:02 AM, Blogger Lone Star Purrs said...

I just paid $2.89 tonight on my way to work. I have a 50 mile commute....each way. At least it's all interstate and I only work 3 nights a week. But still....that adds up REALLY quick.

~Becca
P.S. Meeko & Kiara send their purrs!

 
At August 25, 2006 7:49 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

wow, gas here is 3.05 per gallon, and that's the cheap gas. Some places are up to 3.19. I would kill for gas that cheap (well not literally, I don't think). Hubby has a 54 mile commute - each way. Guess there will be no nip for th boys this week either! - Meezers Mom Mary

 
At August 26, 2006 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for interest, here in the U.K. we are now up to US$8.23 per gallon!

 
At August 27, 2006 1:16 AM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

i, too, was excited by similarly priced gas this week. i need to fill up while it's still cheap. well, relatively, anyway. i have to keep reminding myself that the oil industry keeps the boys in kitty kibble and litter so that i don't complain too much!

-amy

 
At August 27, 2006 3:20 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

$2.67 today at the Shell closest to my home. Maybe it will hit $1.89 soon. :)

Really, Amy? I think you need to update your blog and give us a hint on what's going on with you.

Wow, Sue. That is expensive gasoline. I hope it is gold infused or something to help justify the cost.

MMM & Becca-Commutes of 100-plus miles every work day? That's a hearty commute. I hope all stay safe and that the higher gas prices aren't hurting you all too much.

 
At August 28, 2006 5:15 AM, Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

WE just dropped below $3 a gallon over here in Hawaii. I was so excited. Do you ever wonder just how expensive it will get? *sigh* ~Poiland Tribe

 
At August 28, 2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Didn't leave the house yesterday, so I'm not certain if this happened today or yesterday. All the stations passed today were at $2.59. Surely, $1.59 can't be too far away. Surely?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home