Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Listen Closely

Volunteered Saturday with the StoryCorps project. The traveling recording studio is at Kansas City's City Market through next weekend. (By the way, Wayside Waifs had its traveling adoption center next to StoryCorps today. I did check out a few monsters.) StoryCorps is an oral history project, reminiscent of a project that took place in 1936 through 1940.

Two studios are touring the country, plus there are two permanent studios in New York City. Folks schedule appointments to interview a loved one, family member, friend, co-worker or whatever in order to capture their story. Whatever it may be. It's all about just getting people to tell their story and encouraging everyone to listen. The recordings will be stored in the U.S. Library of Congress. Excerpts air on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition" every Friday. Many stories also are on the StoryCorps website.

photo from The Kansas City StarI actually thought about asking Meg to go with me, thinking I could talk about My Monster and she The Boyz. We could represent those loved by pets. The people who did come by Saturday for interviews were thrilled to be included in the project and anxious to share their stories. It was awesome being a part of it. I very much enjoyed visiting with the participants and the people stopping by to ask questions or aware of the project and offering support.

Additionally, an aviation show was going on at the Downtown Airport and an Artfest. Much activity. It was fun to stroll through the artwork with the roar of the Blue Angels overhead. Their speed, loudness and aerobats always cause everyone to look up into the sky. It was amazing to see them soar around downtown. Lots of other interesting airplanes too.

The day was fun, even as temperatures topped 90 degrees. After volunteering, my late-lunch treat was a tasty California club sandwich at Succotash while perusing the paper. I rode the city bus down there and back home in order to not have to deal with parking and to pretend like I live in a big city. It was a top-notch day, capped off with my Cowboys winning! No way that I could possibly complain.

4 Comments:

At September 17, 2006 4:20 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

sounds like a fantastic day, cowboy. glad to hear you checked out some monsters, too.

 
At September 17, 2006 8:05 PM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

sounds like a good day Cowboy. how were the monsters that you checked out?

 
At September 17, 2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Very cool! My mom loves hearing another story every Friday. She says she bets you have a favorite one, too. Are you planning to tell a story before it leaves town?

 
At September 19, 2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

They were some awfully cute monsters, too. Lots of young'uns, which was very intriguing but a little scary too.

William, I probably won't tell a story now. I'll wait until the next time StoryCorps visits here. Or I'll take a trip to New York City.

If I talked about my Eppy, I would have included discovering the whole cat blogosphere, Secret Paws, and how you all came to my rescue.

Until then, I'll just practice getting my story just right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home