Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

All Is Calm

Silent NightsIf you're like me, at Christmastime everything has its place. The stockings are hung by the chimney (with care), the garland in a certain place, the tree in its corner, and the wreath on the door. My various nativities and Santas usually land in about the same place each year.

This nativity almost always is under the tree. And without fail, every year the sheep somehow mysteriously would wind up in various places in the house. Everyday I'd pick them up and put them back in their place, just to find them somewhere else the next day.

A cat's padded paws are so soft. Their steps are without sound. It's a wonder we ever hear them moving about. But we can. After I lost my Eponine, I first was overwhelmed with how quiet the place was without her. She made more noise than I ever realized. And although I never caught her in the act, I know she liked the sheep in this nativity.

A year ago on Dec. 16, I authored my first blog post. That same day, Eponine authored her last. Telling you that My Little Monster was dying and later telling you that she had passed away were two of the hardest things I've ever done. Yet, telling you was what I needed to do. She was a little cat that was so loved by this Cowboy. Having an opportunity to share her was such a huge blessing.

Without you, I never would have made it through those days. I am forever thankful.

11 Comments:

At December 20, 2006 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cowboy-

I've been reading your blog for a year and a day now, and I've never commented until now. I know how hard it is to lose a four-legged loved one, and I'm sending you peaceful wishes today. Your little monster was definately a special girl, and you were both so blessed to have found each other.

 
At December 20, 2006 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cowboy, you are in my thoughts today. Especially today. This first anniversary is a hard one... hang in there and know Ep's blog continues to bring lots of joy to everyone who visits it! I know it does me!

 
At December 20, 2006 1:25 PM, Blogger Smeagol and Strider, Mystery (Sunnin' at the Bridge) and Gizmo too! said...

We're sendin' purrs to you, Cowboy.

 
At December 20, 2006 7:17 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

Still purring for you Cowboy. Someday a new kittie will pick you.

 
At December 20, 2006 7:57 PM, Blogger PrincessMia said...

I remember. Those were some rough times.

I like what Derby said, though.

Someday, a new kitty will pick you.

 
At December 21, 2006 11:25 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

we 'amember reading it too - alfough we didn't haf a blog then. We hope that you get picked by a new monster furry soon.

 
At December 21, 2006 10:24 PM, Blogger Ivan from WMD said...

Remembering this day, too, Cowboy. We're glad you've kept in touch.

 
At December 21, 2006 10:56 PM, Blogger Edsel/The Pooch said...

Cowboy, as you know, my Mom and I were just devastasted by the loss of your sweet Eppy. we hope that you are doing well and that one day you will be picked by another sweet kitty who needs a forever home. you were an excellent father and have many days ahead of you to cherish another sweet poodin.

 
At December 22, 2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Edsel, my bond with you and your mom is something I cherish.

William, I'm glad you've kept in touch too!

Meezers, I haven't given up hope. Someday soon, I hope, I'm picked.

Princess Mia, I'll admit, I still cry sometimes when I think about it. I'm a "holder on-er" and save things, think about things, ponder things. I remember many years of great companionship!

Derby, you are so very kind. Thank you!

S&S (M&G), Thanks so much.

Sexy, I'm glad that you keep reading along. Thanks also for the wonderful card you sent the other day. It made my day.

Anonymous, Your comment is greatly appreciated. You are a huge example of how this blogosphere can be vast and anonymous, but also connects.......connects cats, dogs, and humans too.

WE are "The Person of The Year."

 
At December 24, 2006 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of quiet - it just about killed me when I lost Heather, because she, too, was an only cat, and instead of her, "where have you been?!?" meow greeting me, there was just suddenly nothing. Thank you for sharing your pain of losing Eponine. You'll never know how much it helped me.
~ tammara

 
At December 27, 2006 8:12 PM, Blogger amy and the bad cats said...

cowboy, we remembered you, too, but we've been away and off-line. we hope you're hanging in there. if you need a little christmas joy, please read our latest blog entry about our very own christmas miracle.

amy, bat & bandit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home