Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

What Is A Hokie?

"I am a Hokie." That was the response from a young lady when Chris Cuomo asked "What is a Hokie?" It was during a special Tuesday night by ABC news.

My college pride is mildly abundant. OK, maybe some would say it's overwhelmingly abundant. I get excited with the slightest mention of my school. But there is some notoriety that a campus just does not want. No one wants to see aerial maps of their campus that detail where people were killed, to watch students crying because of lost friends, or to have the U.S. President visit campus only to provide condolences.

Watching the students gather and proudly wear their VTech attire truly is special to me. The gestures of unity, spirit and pride, I pray, will provide them the comfort they need. I also hope it will fuel their determination to heal. They are Virginia Tech Hokies.

Social web pages are proving to be an interesting part of the unfolding story. For many of us, we write knowing it's being posted "out there," but somehow still think it is private. We think, "Surely no one is reading this."

Tonight's ABC special included heaps of information from the pages of people's sites. The sites essentially were the "sources" for the stories. There was not a "human" being interviewed like I had to do in my old journalism days. What we write and post for our social network, even if it is a blogosphere of cats, are the sources.

We really are part of a unique community. A community that could potentially allow millions to know something about us.

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2007 9:48 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

I cried and cried all day Monday and yesterday, thinking "what if that had happend at Pitt?" Our college was in the middle of a city - lots of places for bad things to happen. The other thought I had was that those kids were so well spoken, and calm and brave and very dedicated to their school. Hoakie nation will get through this

Oh, and if you don't know what at Hoakie is, from what I understand it might be a castrated turkey. Kind of like the turkey version of a capon. Weird, huh? - Meezer Mom Mary

 
At April 18, 2007 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all. It helps my heart to read of the support and caring from all over the world. I am a proud VT alumnae and I am still in shock over this insane act of violence. I am thankful that my dear friends there are okay but my heart is broken for those that have been lost. What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition...a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. And I have never been prouder to be one.....I AM A HOKIE....may God bless and comfort us all.
Kim (Gabby's mom) Virginia Tech Class of '93

 
At April 19, 2007 9:26 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

For anyone who loves their own school, I think it is super hard to hear about/see the pics of this tragedy and not empathize. You are so right, Meezer Mary Mom.

Per Kim, though, it doesn't seem a Hokie is a turkey.

Kim, My thoughts and prayers are with you and others. Thanks for posting a comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home