Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

Adios!

Recently read in the gossip column of the local daily that my favorite on The Plaza has closed. Mi Cocina. Makes me sad. No more awesome mole sauce just like my grandma's. :( And that very good chorizo. Darn.

According to the gossip dude, a nearby Plaza bar started to take away Mi Cocina's nightclub crowd, then another started to get more of the happy hour crowd. Lastly, right after the new Power & Light District opened downtown, the crowd started to really dwindle. I did what I could to keep them open. Even had one or two too many mambo limo margaritas.

I predict in Kansas City we're messing with fire. As we keep building and building things, likely overbuilding (how many Lowe's do we need?) other places will go to the wayside. Some oldies but goodies. Others not-so-old but good.

The credit crunch also will have its impact. Running a business is about debt. Then it's about cash flow. Having constant revenue and earnings to pay that debt and keep investors/those loaning the moola engaged. As money comes in, pay the bank, bills, employees and the business owner. As dollars coming in tighten and folks see bills coming due, no one (especially rich folks who opened a "side business" as an investment) wants to lose their shirt.

So, you serve your last tamale and say adios!

2 Comments:

At May 14, 2008 9:05 PM, Blogger meemsnyc said...

I hate it when amazing restaurants go out of business at the blink of an eye. Here in NYC, rent is so expensive that unfortunately, a lot of amazing eateries bite the dust. Just this past month, one of my all time favorite japanese restaurants closed down. How sad I was. I didn't even get to say goodbye to the awesome owners and staff.

 
At May 21, 2008 9:42 PM, Blogger Eponine's Cowboy said...

Not being able to say so-long to favorite servers and others is part of what I don't like about sudden closings. But, as my history on this blog further proves, I am a "misser." I miss much more than most normal folks do. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home