Wild Life Of A Little Monster

Others are scared of me because of all the fun I have. Considered a vigilante by my Eponine.

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face










It was July 24, 2007. Many of you refer to it as "Gotcha Day." It's my father's birthday and is the day Gabby picked me.

I never got around to sharing specifics of Gabby picking me. So, I set a goal to publish this post on Christmas Eve in honor of the past five months. Computer problems prevented me from meeting that deadline. Anyway, here it is now.

Earlier in the day on July 24 I attended a meeting at a different office location. When I pulled into the parking lot at my office, the beast was spotted. I did feel a panic as I sat in the car. Then said a soft prayer, "Dear Lord, please let this monster pick me."

Usually a feline wandering a work parking lot will quickly dash when approached by a big ol' human. They don't run away when they want to pick you, though. My Eponine walked right up to me in a work parking lot back in 1990.

I asked the creature to follow me into the building. "C'mon sweetheart, come along." Noticing she was starved, I took her right to the breakroom/kitchen and found her something to nibble on. Then I let her roam the building. I remember a co-worker saying, "I think there's a cat in here."

About three hours later when it was time for me to leave, I said, "Let's go if you want to come with me." The little monster very loudly said "Meow." I opened the door and instructed that she either needed to follow me or be on her merry way. "Meow." At one point she started to walk a different direction. I hollered, "this is your last chance!" "Meow," she said and continued her march toward me.

She walked to the car but then opted to go under it instead of going in the open passenger door. It was only then did I pick up her tiny frame and put her in the car. Meowing all the way along the 30-minute commute, she hopped around the passenger seat and me and stared out the window at the world passing by. Having never discarded the remains of Eponine's food, the beast was able to have her first meal within minutes of arriving at Cowboy's.

I made her comfortable and secluded her in the laundry room that first night. I took her right to Ep's vet on the way to work the next morning. When he called that afternoon, he went on and on with the results of his examination. I told him I only had one question ... "Is she going to die?" "No" he said.

My prayers were answered. I knew right then. The Good Lord gave me the reassurances I needed. And just like that, Gabrielle picked. She is such a gift.

She's not even recognizable from these pics from our first day. She was so bony and sad looking. But even then she was still loving, talkative and a sweetheart. Those things won't ever change, I think.

Dec. 20 was two years ago that Eponine had to leave me. I still miss her. There's no denying that. But I am certain she was ready for me to get picked.

7 Comments:

At December 27, 2007 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to be picked?? We were picked a little over two months ago by a stray orange and white kitten who told us his name was Oliver. He quickly plumped up and is now on his way to being one huge cat!
Does Gabby have one pupil that stays open? We have a kitty named Ivy who has one funny pupil but it doesn't hinder her in the least...no problem with her depth perception at all. Haooy New Year to you and Gabby!

 
At December 28, 2007 9:20 AM, Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

awww, Eponine sent Gabby to you 'cause she knowed Gabby needed you, and you needed her. Gabby is such a beauty!

Happy New Year Cowboy and Gabby

 
At December 28, 2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Lone Star Purrs said...

We's SOOOOOOO glad that Gabby picked you! We kno that sweet Eppy wuz watchin' ofur you.
::purrs::
~Meeko & Kiara (Momma too)

pee ess- Belated Merry Christmas to you both.

 
At December 28, 2007 4:06 PM, Blogger Omnibabe said...

Happy Holidays from the Divine Miss Marilyn and I. We are thrilled to pieces that Gabby found you!

 
At December 28, 2007 4:40 PM, Blogger Parker said...

Gabby is a smart little kitty to have picked you! Mommy used to feel awful that you never saw the "one" at WW but now we know Eponine sent her to you!

 
At December 28, 2007 8:31 PM, Blogger Just Ducky said...

She is a beautiful kittie and I am so happy that she picked you!

 
At December 31, 2007 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're so glad she found you. She is a pretty little sweetheart, I can tell by the look in her eyes. Or were you holding a shrimp just over the camera? lol. Naw - that's daddy-fur-daughter love.

Happy 2008. :-)

~ tammara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home